Saturday, April 4, 2009

True Italian Spaghetti Sauce

I just posted this recipe to my FB page. So I thought I would add it here as well. It's been a long time since I've posted a recipe. But this is one of my favorites. Enjoy!!

Also known as "Chicken's Chicken Spaghetti" Made with NO chicken:)

I'm just going to walk through how I make it. That's the true Italian way :)
1. brown 1 lb hambuger. drain and add 1 chopped onion and 1 garlic clove (or 1 tsp chopped garlic)

2. (put in a large sauce pot) 3 large cans tomato sauce, 3 small cans stewed tomatoes (I use 2 quart jars canned tomatoes), 1 small tomato paste. start simmering on low. (add the meat from step 1)

3. brown 1 lb. Italian sausage. Drain. add pepperoni (I use the stick instead of the slices) cut it up into bite size chunks. Drain grease again. add to the sauce pot.

4. Now for the seasonings. Don't be afraid the adjust to your liking.
I start with 1 TB of each of the following:
oregano
parsely
basil
rosemary
marjoram
thyme
then I add a couple spinkles of red pepper flakes (add more or less for how spicy you like it)and then add 2 bay leafs (don't forget to take them out before you serve the sauce:)

Let it simmer all day. It makes enough to have for dinner, and then freeze 2 huge bags for future dinners. Or it's good for a very large group. Remember, don't be afraid to play around with your seasonings. It's the best spaghetti sauce you will ever eat.

ps: The recipe also calls for a small jar of mushrooms. But omit them, since I don't like them AT ALL !

2 comments:

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Hmmm! Sounds like a wonderful recipe. I think I will make it tomorrow night.

Kate said...

It sounds great. I will definitely have to try it.